The Old Jail Art Center welcomes volunteers-women and men-to join its Docent Program, currently some 60-strong. The Docents have given indispensable support to the museum since it opened in 1980. They staff the reception desk on weekends, provide food and decorations for OJAC functions, assist with bulk mailings and education programs, plan and coordinate Docent trips, and help recruit new volunteers.
• Be able to join Docent trips at a subsidized price. (Day trips and 2-3 day trips.)
• Get free or subsidized admission to many OJAC special events.
• Invitations to free buffet dinners for exhibition openings.
• Art Education- Monthly Docent meetings include programs on a variety of art-related topics. Docents receive training on the museum's permanent collection, operations, and special exhibitions. (No tests!)
• Discounts -Museum membership entitles you to 10% discount in the Gift Shop and
• Meet and visit with the public. (Our visitors in 2011 came from 47 states and 28 foreign countries.)
• Make new friends among the friendly Docent corps.
For more information, contact Kathryn Mitchell, Education Director, at 325/762-2269 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.